Two St Paul businesses were damaged this week by fires. Electrical fires are a leading cause of property loss in industry; cooking and heating are the leading causes in homes. Electrical issues seem worse during the holiday season–heaters are left plugged in to ward off cold, and more extension cords are in use for holiday lights.
Live Christmas trees are another issue. They need to be kept well watered. The effects of fire on a dry tree versus a well watered live tree can be seen in this YouTube video.
Stay safe this holiday:
- Unplug space heaters.
- Have a working carbon monoxide detector at home. Having one at the office is a good idea, also.
- Check cords before using them.
- Don’t leave candles burning unattended.
- Clean up spills, even if you didn’t cause them.