It may seem like a simple task, but many people do not know how to properly jump start a battery. The short answer is positive to positive, negative to ground:
- Connect one cable (red) to the positive terminal of the dead battery
- Connect the other end of that cable to the positive terminal of the good battery
- Connect the black cable to the negative (black) terminal of the good battery
- Connect the other end to a metal part on the car or equipment with the bad battery.
- Disconnect in reverse order
Check your owner’s manual for instructions.