As of July 1, 2013, there are new Hours-of-Service regulations for commercial motor vehicle drivers.
According to USDOT, the new rules apply if the vehicle (commercial motor vehicle or CMV) is used for business, is used for interstate commerce and if any of the following:
- Weighs 10,001 pounds or more
- Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more
- Is designed or used to transport 16 or more passengers (including the driver) not for compensation
- Is designed or used to transport 9 or more passengers (including the driver) for compensation
- A vehicle that is involved in Interstate or intrastate commerce and is transporting hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placards is also considered a CMV
For specific information on the new regulations, including a comparison with the prior rule, see the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Admin website here.