Every year we read about someone, or a whole family, dying from carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that basically pushes oxygen out of the bloodstream. Initial symptoms are often headache, sleepiness and flu-like symptoms, which often leads people to go to sleep. And, possibly never wake up.
Carbon monoxide is given off by internal combustion engines such as kerosene heaters, furnaces, forklifts and automobiles.
As of 2008, Minnesota requires carbon monoxide detectors be located within 10 feet of every bedroom. They should be located on every floor, as well, especially near the furnace. Home use carbon monoxide detectors are only good for about seven years. Write the date of installation on the monitor, so you know when to buy a new one.
Minnesota OSHA requires that businesses that operate internal combustion forklifts indoors must do carbon monoxide monitoring on a quarterly basis.
Proper monitoring for carbon monoxide is very cheap investment in saving a life.