Earth Day 2011 is Friday, April 22, which got us thinking about environmentally sustainable practices. Our experience is that businesses that implement them are finding that they are frequently saving money as well.
Here are a couple of examples:
Warners Stellian, a Twin Cities store that has been around for years, was recently recognized for reducing their packaging waste by 75%. Not only will they save money in the packaging, but they are saving money on the disposal end.
One of our clients implemented a recycling program and reduced their waste hauling from five days a week to once a week.
What can you do for Earth Day? Commit to making one change that will have an impact on the environment and on your bottom line. Here is a list of ideas:
- Reduce packaging
- Reduce waste: order only as much as you need
- Have an energy audit
- Use compact fluorescent lights or LED lights where possible
- Turn off the lights. Install motion sensor lights
- Turn down the heat
- Install a rain garden as part of landscaping
- Consider a white membrane roof
- Choose chemicals that are less toxic
For more ideas check these web sites: